The Second Engineer is in charge of engine watch-keeping. He/she is responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of technical equipment inside the engine room as delegated by the Staff Engineer.
• Ensures presence on board whenever the First Engineer is absent;
• Relieves the First Engineer Officer in case of emergency;
• Is responsible toward the Staff Engineer for the maintenance and condition of the Main and Auxiliary Boilers, all type of fresh water generators and steam loop in the Engine;
• Assigns maintenance and repair duties to his dependent personnel and actively supervises in any overhaul and repair work;
• Inspects all assigned work in progress ensuring that it is executed properly in accordance with acceptable standards and that no wastage of materials occurs;
• Controls the proper disposals of all refuse, rags etc. to avoid fire and other hazards;
• Trains personnel assigned to his engine watch;
• Attends all cocktail parties and social and entertaining functions where his presence is required by the Master.
• Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional language is considered an advantage;
• Certificate of Competency IMO STCW Cap III/2;
• Valid Panama Seamen Book;
• Basic Safety Training Certificate including Advanced Fire fighting experience and Swimming & Rowing competence;
• Satisfy the requirements of STCW 95 regarding certification for this position;
• Meet the requirements of the laws of the Flag State of the ship regarding health & physical requirements;
• Extensive successful experience in a similar position within Cargo or other Cruise company;
• Basic Windows based programs knowledge;
• A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board.
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal
Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business