The primary responsibility of the Junior Sous Chef is to maintain an efficient operation in an assigned production area, by constantly analyzing quality and cost of food production." />
JOB NUMBER: JB02095
VACANCY NUMBER: ADV02511
ORGANIZATION: MSC Malta Seafarers Co. Ltd (on board job)
BUSINESS AREA: Hotel
LINE MANAGER: Chef de Cuisine
An exciting opportunity exists for a world class Junior Sous Chef to join our newly created luxury travel brand “Explora Journeys”.
The primary responsibility of the Junior Sous Chef is to maintain an efficient operation in an assigned production area, by constantly analyzing quality and cost of food production.
• Maintain set budget and monitor time management.
• Provide ongoing training and ensure that the standards set by the Corporate Offices are followed.
• Ensure safe, quality food products and complete guest satisfaction.
• Maintain control on the floor using a hands-on approach.
• Ensure full adherence within assigned area, to menus, recipes, methods and operational specifics provided by the company.
• Maintain an efficient flow of production.
• Conduct food tastings on a daily basis.
• Monitor and assist Section Heads to prepare the daily electronic food requisitions according to the forecasted figures.
• Monitor the Dinner Service Line in assigned location, to ensure smooth and efficient service, presentation and final plating.
• Monitor the production and preparation level using the Culinary Checklist.
• Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
• Report any malfunctions and necessary repairs that affect the daily operation in the galley, and that violate Public Health & SMS requirements to the Technical department.
• Ensure that all the HACCP procedures are applied at all times and followed accordingly.
• Ensure that assigned area of responsibility is ready for announced or unannounced inspection conducted by Ship Management or local authorities.
• Be present during all inspections.
• Ensure and reinforce the daily Recipe review program with CDP’s and Section Heads. Recipe reviews must be submitted to the culinary department for review and approval.
• Monitor all daily requisitions, especially expensive items (Meat, Fish and Seafood/Flagged items).
• Ensure the portion control chart is followed accordingly.
• Responsible for controlling food and general expenses related to the production in his / her area, set by the Corporate Office Guidelines and Budget.
• Maintain cost control within the department/team.
• Ensure that all safety procedures are followed.
• Participate in the Cooking Demonstration as required.
• Assist the Procurement team with storing operations and quality control.
• Supervise activities such as afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, lunch service, and evening duties.
• Minimum of 8 years in the profession in a well-recognized luxury hospitality establishment or upscale cruise line.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar position in a well-recognized luxury hospitality establishment or upscale cruise line.
• Fluent in written and spoken English.
• Communicate effectively with the senior management.
• Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
• Good administrative skills.
• Experienced in coaching subordinates.
• Must be cost and quality conscious.
• Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
• Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
• High School education or international equivalent.
• 3-year apprenticeship for professional chefs or a Degree in Culinary Arts.
• USPH or HACCP certification preferred.
Posses a valid passport and a seaman book.
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business partners.