JOB NUMBER: JB02258
VACANCY NUMBER: ADV02651
ORGANIZATION: MSC Malta Seafarers Co. Ltd (on board job)
BUSINESS AREA: Deck
LINE MANAGER: Captain
An exciting opportunity exists for a world class Environmental Officer to join our newly created luxury travel brand “Explora Journeys” to lead the application of all procedures in order to prevent pollution and to ensure full compliance with MARPOL regulations relating to the correct handling and disposal of all waste material.
• Reports any misalignment and no-conformity referred to the Environmental protection and to the correct application of Environmental Company policy;
• Ensures that the garbage is managed correctly, gathered and lawfully disposed in accordance with MARPOL regulations, national, local legislation and Company policy;
• Ensures the proper management of the waste water and effluent external sampling tests, according to the Company instructions and files the results and reports sent on board through the Company;
• Makes certain that the Company Policy referred to the Air Emission Management is duly followed.
• Defines the working schedule of the incinerator and the use of the food waste system discharge, according to the international, local rules and Company procedures;
• In cooperation with the Safety Officer, ensures and performs the environmental trainings to all crew members. Ensures that onboard personnel is trained on Chemical Safety as per Company policy and Chemical Management Manual;
• Makes certain that all external companies and their technicians, once on board are aware of the Environmental Company policy and relevant procedures in order to efficiently and lawfully cope with situations that may cause pollution;
• Together with the Safety Officer, coordinates and directs the monthly Pollution Emergency drills, assists the Staff Captain with any Environmental findings, following to inspections/audits internal and external;
• Cooperates with the 1st Officer on the performance of the Risk Assessment, supporting him about the environmental aspects compliance;
• Carries out periodic inspections of all safety and environmental protection appliances and equipment, which must be properly maintained at all times;
• Updates all environmental logbooks and plans ensuring the correct recordkeeping and filling out by the respective shipboard personnel. Provides an environmental schedule for the voyage, verifying that all environmental restrictions in the ships’ area of operation have been included in the voyage plan, and ensuring the correct application of the Company Policies.
•Fluent in oral and written English (working & safety language of the Company);
•Environmental / Science-based bachelor’s degree or higher.
•Has a complete knowledge of the MARPOL, Garbage Management Plan, Chemical Management Plan and ISO 14001/50001;
•Basic Windows based programs knowledge;
•Proven ability to work in a harmonious productive team environment;
•Extensive successful experience in a similar position within other cruise company.
Possess a valid passport and a seaman book copy.
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business partners.