JOB NUMBER: JB02080
VACANCY NUMBER: ADV02688
ORGANIZATION: MSC Malta Seafarers Co. Ltd (on board job)
BUSINESS AREA: Hotel
LINE MANAGER: Senior Executive Chef
An exciting opportunity exists for a world class Head Butcher to join our newly created luxury travel brand “Explora Journeys”. The primary responsibility of the Head Butcher is to handle all raw meat preparations, which include but is not limited to the ownership and follow-up of the portion control, thawing control, ordering, and proper stock rotation.
• Possess advanced Butcher cutting techniques for beef, pork, poultry, veal, and lamb.
• Accountable for the loading, receiving, and safe storage of inventory.
• Control food cost, waste, food safety, handling, and sanitation to be in compliance with USPH.
• Possess a thorough understanding of how to handle, defrost, prepare, and portion all cuts of meat.
• Possess advanced knife handling skills.
• Coordinate and supervise all personnel in the assigned section.
• Conduct portion control reviews on a daily basis to ensure compliance.
• Control production levels.
• Recommend improvements and better cost control.
• Prepare Daily Meat Thawing requisitions needed for assigned section production.
• Prepare electronic Daily Meat consumption recap with accuracy.
• Maintain and ensure that Public Health regulations (US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian, etc.) are followed at all times on board.
• Ensure that all the HACCP procedures are applied at all times and followed correctly.
• Ensure that the assigned area of responsibility is ready for the announced or unannounced inspection conducted by Ship Management or local authorities.
• Mentor, develop and provide on-the-job training to subordinates to strengthen current performance and in preparation for future advancement.
• Conduct workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly cleaned and stored minimize deterioration and waste.
• Possess familiarity with the galley layout in terms of safety and security.
• Attend early stand-by for any inspection.
• Assist the Procurement team with storing and ensuring FIFO rotation is applied.
• Minimum of 10 years in butchery in large operations.
• Fluent in written and spoken English.
• Communicate effectively with the senior management.
• Possess the ability to lead and make decisions.
• Good administrative skills.
• Experienced in coaching subordinates.
• Must be cost and quality conscious.
• Adhere to specific scheduled work hours, yet be flexible if circumstances require it.
• Knowledge of Microsoft programs to include but not limited to, Outlook, Word, Excel.
• Familiarly with relational database-driven inventory control systems.
• High School education or international equivalent.
• 3-year apprenticeship or Butchery Degree.
• USPH or HACCP certification.
Posses a valid passport and a seaman book if availabole
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business partners.