JOB NUMBER: JB03742
VACANCY NUMBER: ADV04448
ORGANIZATION: MSC Cruise Management UK Ltd
BUSINESS AREA: Office
LINE MANAGER: New Building Technical Director
The R&D Electrical Engineer supports the New Building Technical Director in the technology development efforts for the research and development of MSC Cruise’s various maritime technology projects. As an Electrical expert, they are actively involved in the elaboration of the technical specifications and plan approval for new building’s, and to be a recognised expert within the marine engineering discipline for development of the new solutions. They will understand developments within the marine engineering discipline areas and how these should be implemented on board MSC Cruise Vessels. They will also be actively aware of the development of new technology to apply to new projects and retrofits.
• Performs market research to determine what types of products might be technically successful, research product ideas to determine their viability, and research how existing products on the market are performing.
• Assists the Research & Development area of expertise in meetings and visits with stakeholders.
• Keeps appraised of current and changing marine engineering practices in the MSC Cruise, receives and acts on feedback on the performance of vessels in service.
• Collaborates in the design development, system, and evaluation of equipment specifications to ensure that all statutory, Company safety and operational standards and requirements are observed throughout.
• Monitors products and performance of manufactures that provide fleet equipment and services.
• Liaises with the New Building Technical Director in continually updating the specifications of the vessels under construction or conversion to ensure that accurate records of all changes are maintained and that on delivery or redelivery of the vessels an “as fitted” specification is available.
• Assists in manage Department workflow in terms of reviewing specifications, drawings, diagrams, and the technical submissions in accordance with stablished procedures. Participate to FATs and perform shipyards inspections.
• Follows up and provides technical inputs on warranty failure claims in conjunction with the Guarantee Engineer.
• Performs other duties as required.
• To maintain contact with Shipyards, the Classification Societies, Regulatory Bodies, Professional Bodies, subcontractors, and equipment manufacturers within the levels determined by the Management to continually monitor developments in the field of defined responsibility.
• To support as requested by the Management in developing procedures and schedules for the inspection and testing of the equipment and systems and subsequent protection against damage and misuse.
• Degree in a specialist area such as Electrical Engineering, or significant technical experience in Marine Engineering or Electrical Engineering within the Marine industry
• Ability to assimilate, critically examine and analyse technical information and make informed recommendations where appropriated
• Analytical ability to perform many research tasks and create design plans for products
• Ability to write cogent and precise technical reports and detailed product plans
• Ability to present technical and commercial arguments effectively
• Ability to understand the underlying (naval) architectural principals behind issues under negotiation and to demonstrate the practical application and feasibility of what is being recommended by MSC Cruises
• Ability to understand reasonable requirements of the company operating departments and actively build good relationships
• Strong computer proficiency, Excel (including use of formulas, charts, and tables), Power Point and Word
• Preferred experience with ABB/GE Marine High Voltage Equipment: High voltage generators, high voltage generator voltage controls, High / low voltage switchgear and distribution switchboards, high voltage circuit breakers and protective devices, low voltage circuit breakers and motor starters, cycloconverter / synchronverter propulsion drives, high / low voltage transformers, low voltage VFD
• Demonstrate a strong understanding of high voltage safety
• Familiar with electrical engineering and installation standards including IEC, IEEE, API, IMO MODU, SOLAS, and class regulations (BV, RINA)
Eligible to work in the UK.
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business partners.