JOB NUMBER: JB03930
VACANCY NUMBER: ADV04711
ORGANIZATION: MSC Cruise Management UK Ltd
BUSINESS AREA: Office
LINE MANAGER: Senior Director Maritime Support & Crisis Response
The role of Manager, Marine Meteorology holds significant importance within the MSC Cruise Management team. As a vital member of our Maritime Support and Crisis Response department, this position will primarily concentrate on optimizing the weather-based routing for the MSC Cruises & Explora Journeys global fleet. This includes a keen focus on monitoring both sea and port conditions that our ships may encounter.
Additionally, the Manager, Marine Meteorology will play a pivotal role in educating other department members to enhance their ability to assess these conditions effectively.
This role is dedicated to ensuring the safety and well-being of our guests and crew by providing proactive weather forecasts and operational recommendations.
Responsible for direct communication and coordination with the senior leadership team at MSC Cruise Management ashore, as well as maintaining regular contact with the global fleet of MSC Cruises & Explora Journeys, including ship captains and senior officers. This interaction is vital for determining the safest and least disruptive voyage and port call strategies when adverse weather conditions occur. Additionally, tasked with the analysis and creation of localized weather climatology data for global locations using advanced machine learning and statistical databases.
· Ensuring swift and urgent communication to relevant teams and personnel when action is required in response to potentially hazardous weather systems.
· Evaluates and manages weather related technical systems and planning tools for fleet operations and Newbuild projects.
· Supervising onboard weather training programs and offering guidance to shipboard teams.
· Providing expert advice and support to the Energy Efficiency & Itinerary departments in identifying weather-related opportunities for fuel savings.
· Providing daily briefings and tailored reports through an overview of the weather forecast affecting all MSC assets. Offering weather-related support and guidance to the MSC Cruises & Explora Journeys fleet as needed, with a particular focus on prioritizing critical weather events such as tropical cyclones, ocean storms, cold fronts, long period swells, excessive winds, etc., which may necessitate vessel and itinerary adjustments.
· Existing experience working as an Operational Meteorologist or similar is an advantage
· Bachelor’s degree or above in Meteorology and Oceanography / Meteorology, Atmospheric Sciences, or similar.
· Five to seven years experience with maritime meteorology in a forecasting capacity
· Experienced working with open ocean vessel weather routing and ship-related maritime ocean and port weather hazards
· A strong understanding of Atmospheric Dynamics, Atmospheric Thermodynamics and Atmospheric Physics
· A strong understanding of Synoptic and Mesoscale Meteorology
· Experienced working with Atmospheric Measuring / Remote Sensing with Satellite / Radar Meteorology
· Numerical weather prediction experience· Well developed IT Skills, including full coverage of Microsoft Office, as well as the ability to perform data analysis, modelling and visualisation to allow inferences about the atmosphere, and to allow numerical and statistical based solutions to arising issues
· Ability to apply machine learning (AI) and statistical approach to climatological databases is an advantage
The existing right to work in the UK is preferred.
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business partners.