The Ship’s Doctor’s main task is to provide a high quality and professional medical service for guests and crew members onboard the ship.
This includes responsibility for infection control, communicable diseases on board, management of outbreaks and management of mass casualty events should one arise onboard.
• Provide safe and high-quality general and emergency medical care to guests and crew in the event of an accident illness or injury, in line with MSC Cruises values and policies
• Ensure that all guests and crew are treated with respect and confidentiality
• Maintain comprehensive medical notes for all patient interactions in the SeaCare electronic notes system, including the nature of the consultation, past medical history, physical examination findings, diagnoses and differential diagnosis, and treatment provided
• Make appropriate referrals for shore-side follow-up for guests and crew and complete all required documentation
• Make informed decisions in the event of the need for medical evacuation of guests or crews, liaising with the Master onboard and the shoreside medical department
• Ensure that Crew are placed off duty and isolated when appropriate
• Actively participate in drills, simulations and training exercises conducted onboard where their participation is required and provide associated training
• Participates in and contributes to medical department training
• Complies with all MSC, local and international (including CDC-specific) procedures and reporting requirements related to any highly contagious conditions, airborne, droplet and contact-based diseases including gastroenteritis, tuberculosis, measles, mumps, rubella and respiratory disease such as influenza, SARS, MERS, COVID-19
• Assist the Chief Doctor in their responsibilities including maintaining the Medical Centre stock and inventory, narcotic & psychotropic inventory, regular checks of medical equipment, etc.
• Be familiar with the indications, side effects and precautions to be observed for medications available in the formulary for use onboard
• Comply with the administration and safekeeping of all medications and drugs in accordance with regulations and Company policy
• Assist relevant authorities with inspections e.g. port authorities, USPH, USCG, MCA
• Work cohesively as part of the multi-national, multi-disciplinary medical team
• Maintain a positive workplace culture
• Oversee the administration and safekeeping of all medications and drugs in accordance with regulations and Company policy
• Fluent English, oral and written (minimum C1/Advanced level)
• Internationally recognized Medical Doctor degree (in allopathic medicine)
• Specialization in Emergency medicine or Anesthesiology or Critical Care is a MUST
• Current full registration with a license to practice, in good standing
• Minimum three years post-graduate experience in general and emergency medicine gained ashore
• Computer literate
• Valid Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Advanced Life Support (ALS) or equivalent certification
• Valid Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or equivalent certification
• Valid Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) or equivalent certification
• Competence in emergency cardiovascular care
• Competence in basic emergency medicine procedures including management of common fractures and dislocations, suturing, and wound management
• Competence in procedural sedation (conscious sedation, awake sedation).
• Any additional European language, or Arabic
• Valid sexual assault training certification, following ACEP guidelines
• Previous ship or remote practice experience
• Postgraduate experience in Emergency Medicine, Critical Care medicine or Coronary Care
• Board Certification (or equivalent) in Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, or Internal medicine
• Advanced airway management / intubation and ventilation (training & experience)
• Thrombolysis experience
• Experience with electronic medical notes systems
• Occupational medicine experience
• Possess a valid passport and, if possible, a Seaman’s book
In the course of our recruitment and selection process, we may make your Personal Information available to third parties such as recruitment agency, intermediaries and other business partners.